@Benjamin,

Thanks for clarifying.

I for one am not able to tell if your proposal should be included. With
that said, I'm pretty sure that it would not be motivated to make it an
Ubuntu specific patch, i.e. if at all, it should be committed upstream.
So I would recommend you to propose it here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/xkeyboard-config/issues

** Changed in: xkeyboard-config (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  Add support for Chromebook keyboards

Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  Please review this patch for inclusion in Ubuntu or upstream:
  https://github.com/GalliumOS/xkeyboard-
  config/blob/master/debian/patches/chromebook.patch

  I have been using Gallium OS on a Chromebook and like to switch to
  Ubuntu. I tested the modifications on my Chromebook and they are
  working on the Xorg Gnome session.

  I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.