I do not have access to the laptop anymore, and 12.04 is EOL anyway, so
this bug report can be closed.

** Changed in: modemmanager (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to modemmanager in Ubuntu.

  12.04 regression: Sierra Wireless 3G mini card modem fails to connect

Status in modemmanager package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook P8020 with a build in Sierra
  Wireless modem. In Ubuntu 10.10 this modem works out of the box,
  simply by following the 3G modem wizard and selecting my carrier
  (Sweden/Telia) the modem connects without problem.

  When I try to connect using the wizard (MM 0.5.2.0)  in Ubuntu 12.04
  the modem fails to connect. In the syslog I see:

     (ttyUSB3): device state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'modem-
  no-carrier') [40 120 25]

  As far as I can tell the same usb drivers are loaded in both 10.10 and
  12.04, and it seems that the system tries to connect to the same usb
  port too (ttyUSB3) in both versions. So I can't spot anything obvious.