** Tags added: id-5cb602c6889ce851761205ca

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt's dpkgpm.cc WriteApportReport function should gather more data

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  While fixing bug 1813464 it occurred to me that it is not obvious that
  the dist-upgrader tarball includes its own copy of invoke-rc.d and
  that this has been complicated to debug more than once. The apport
  information in that report was gathered by apt's dpkgpm.cc code and I
  think we should extend that to gather additional information from the
  environment at the time that the package installation failed. For
  example the dist-upgrader sets the following:

          os.environ["PATH"] = "%s:%s" % (os.getcwd()+"/imported",
                                          os.environ["PATH"])

  Gathering path from the environment would have made diagnosing bug
  1813464 a lot easier. I tested modifying dpkgpm.cc with the following:

     if(const char* env_p = std::getenv("PATH"))
        fprintf(report, "EnvPATH: %s\n", env_p);

  I then installed the crash-in-postinst package from the daisy-plucker-
  seeds PPA and received a crash report with the EnvPATH key and value.
  Its worth noting that when apport gathers environment information only
  a white listed set of keys is gathered to prevent disclosing
  potentially sensitive information. So we should look at what
  environment variables the dist-upgrader sets and gather those at a
  minimum.