> Fixed by installing:

> language-pack-en
> language-pack-en-base
> language-pack-gnome-en
> language-pack-gnome-en-base

> I think those packages should be dependencies of ubuntu-desktop.

They should not.  Selection of language packages is part of the
installation process, which you bypassed by manually debootstrapping; we
will not include a dependency on the English langpacks (introducing
overhead for all non-English users) to work around this.

Marking invalid for ubuntu-meta.

It sounds like there is still a bug in how the language options are
being displayed in the UI however, so the gnome task remains open.

** Changed in: ubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu.

  Locale settings broken after debootstrap installation

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  After installing Ubuntu 17.10 through debootstrap (because I
  stubbornly want to use ZFS), locale settings are broken. I've tested
  on a regular installation, where they operate fine.

  When trying to switch to English (United Kingdom), I found out that
  the only option is "English"... a dozen times

  Please see added screenshot for more information.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.25.92.1-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm zfs zunicode zavl zcommon znvpair nvidia_drm
nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME