** Description changed:

- I want to do some SRU testing but I have to look up how to add the
- -proposed lines to apt sources every time I want to do this task. The
- wiki page for it is pretty verbose and includes text like: "Replace
- "xenial" with "trusty", "vivid", "utopic", "precise", or "lucid"
- depending on which release you are on. "
-
  Adding -proposed should be as easy as running:

  sudo add-apt-repository proposed

  But this doesn't work:
  $ sudo add-apt-repository proposed
  Error: 'proposed' invalid

- The help text includes a bunch of examples of things that users almost
- never need to do any more:
+ It'd be nice if add-apt-repository could work for all of:

- $ add-apt-repository -h
- [...]
-   Examples:
-     apt-add-repository 'deb http://myserver/path/to/repo stable myrepo'
-     apt-add-repository 'http://myserver/path/to/repo myrepo'
-     apt-add-repository 'https://packages.medibuntu.org free non-free'
-     apt-add-repository http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
-     apt-add-repository ppa:user/repository
-     apt-add-repository ppa:user/distro/repository
-     apt-add-repository multiverse
+ - adding main
+ - adding restricted
+ - adding universe
+ - adding multiverse
+ - adding partners

-
- https://packages.medibuntu.org is now owned by a commerce site, or squatter,
or something similar. It also fails certificate validation. This should be
removed.
-
- http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ has precise through utopic. Maybe
- we shouldn't remove this yet, but someday we may want to revisit this
- one.
-
- It'd be great to have examples of adding proposed, universe, security,
- updates, etc.
-
- Maybe it'd be nice to put a reference to whatever tool would also enable
- ESM.
+ - adding proposed
+ - adding security
+ - adding universe

  Thanks
-
- ProblemType: Bug
- DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
- Package: software-properties-common 0.96.24.32.7
- ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-50.54-generic 4.15.18
- Uname: Linux 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64
- NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
- ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.6
- Architecture: amd64
- Date: Fri May 17 18:32:49 2019
- InstallationDate: Installed on 2012-10-18 (2402 days ago)
- InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120823.1)
- PackageArchitecture: all
- ProcEnviron:
-  TERM=rxvt-unicode-256color
-  PATH=(custom, no user)
-  XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
-  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
-  SHELL=/bin/bash
- SourcePackage: software-properties
- UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-02 (381 days ago)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  make it easy to add proposed; help text outdated

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:

  Adding -proposed should be as easy as running:

  sudo add-apt-repository proposed

  But this doesn't work:
  $ sudo add-apt-repository proposed
  Error: 'proposed' invalid

  It'd be nice if add-apt-repository could work for all of:

  - adding main
  - adding restricted
  - adding universe
  - adding multiverse