Public bug reported:

I have resolvconf installed
and when I visit dnsleaktest.com it shows I m using the dns vpn server
yet if I iptables allow dns only on vpn interface , resolution fails.
with wireshark I had confirmation that some queries were indeed sent-received
from my ISP dns.

this is consistent on many vpn servers from different vpn providers.

ubuntu 19.04

openvpn:
  Installed: 2.4.6-1ubuntu3.1

openvpn should send all dns requests on the vpn interface (encrypted)
it doesn t ,worse it fails to resolve anything if the firewall blocks all dns
on non vpn interfaces.

tried with openresolv instead resolvconf  ,dns didn t t work.

** Affects: openvpn (Ubuntu)

** Information type changed from Private Security to Public

** Package changed: network-manager (Ubuntu) => openvpn (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  openvpn dns leaks on 19.04

Status in openvpn package in Ubuntu: