This is the behaviour I have been describing from the beginning : the video is
useable, but most of the controls are not.
This happens on *every* laptop used with an external TV as main screen since
18.04 - it was fine until 16.04.
I would event bet it alson happens on every computer using a second monitor as
main display unit.
In order to be able to use vlc correctly, I have to launch it from terminal
with the command QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 vlc, which I could find in many
of the thousands posts about this on the net since 2010 or so.
Which tends to prove that the bug has never been reported, otherwise no doubt
the devs would have fixed it already.
And would not have thought that I was the only one to encounter it.
To the devs : I am ready to help you trying to trace this, but keep in mind
that, just like you, I have a real life beside, which makes I may not react as
quickly as one would expect.
This is also why I did not give any reminder though there was no reaction after
a long time : I know you have many things to do, that may be more important (or
valualble), and 24 hours per day are not enough for many of us.
This bug kind of puzzles me, and I sometimes wonder if I did not install
something the wrong way : many things changed since 16.04, so being able to
tell what is good or not is not that easy for a poor end user.
If I find some time, I plan to load the latest 16.04 LTS iso and reinstall it
from scratch, but without preserving my /home. This means I will have to do
some savings before, and be very carefull, and it will take me far more time
then just upgrading my distro.
However, I may take some time to do some testings, a

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to qtbase-opensource-src in

  VLC interface not displayed correctly

Status in qtbase-opensource-src package in Ubuntu:

  I use vlc on a Dell E-5530 laptop seated on its docking station.
  The laptop display cover is closed, the output is sent on an external LG TV
with 1920x1080.
  This system has been working flawlessly for many years, resp. under late
14.04 and 16.04.
  After recently upgrading to 18.04, I noticed VLC wouldn't display correctly -
see attachment.
  This only occurs on the external display ; if I open the cover and use the
internal display, there is no problem - except I cannot work on the internal
display.
  regards,
  J.-Luc

  Package: vlc-bin 3.0.4-1ubuntu0.2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Jan  2 23:38:36 2019
  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/vlc
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>