Does anybody care about lightdm bugs? I'm still seeing this issue but I
haven't found a way to debug it. Is there some environment variable or
some other method that can make all g_debug() messages visible from
lightdm? Currently no log seems to contain any of the g_debug() messages
in the lightdm source code.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Suspend does not work in the login screen

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  After booting the system and login screen is displayed top right gear-
  icon contains option to Suspend. However, selecting that action has no
  results at all (no error message, nothing in any file under /var/log
  or journalctl). I would like to get the suspend action to work similar
  to older Ubuntu versions (this system used to run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and
  I did a fresh install of 18.04.1 LTS).

  I have removed package gdm3 and installed lightdm instead because I
  like the lightdm interface better for our use case.

  Looking at the source code in liblightdm-gobject/power.c suggests that
  lightdm_get_can_suspend() returns true because I get the suspend
  option. However, selecting the option does nothing so I would guess
  that lightdm_suspend() is called but somehow none of the g_debug() log
  messages never appear anywhere so I cannot debug the problem any
  further. (The above is just a guess because I didn't have enough time
  to read the source well enough to figure out if this is the codepath
  I'm trying to activate.)

  Package: lightdm 1.26.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.18.0-13.14~18.04.1-lowlatency 4.18.17
  Uname: Linux 4.18.0-13-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: MATE
  Date: Sun Jan  6 22:23:20 2019
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: lightdm