> Also, did anyone try different position_fix options, e.g. 5,5 or 4,4?
> 4,4 should be equivalent with my previous test patch, so it's not expected
> to work.
>
> But it's still interesting to know whether the recording with such an option
> proceeds at all.  If the stream can be recorded for the expected length, no
> matter whether it's noisy or not, it means that the position buffer does
> work in some level.  OTOH, if the stream can't be recorded at all (e.g. you
> get the DMA or stall error), the position buffer is broken on AMD platform.

I can't believe it, it works now with position_fix = 3! I don't know if
this was caused by the additional patch to the kernel, I'll probably try
to remove it to see if it is still working with 3, but I had already
tried all position fix and a heap of other stuff.

The audio now is perfect, even with pulseaudio :)

This is the result that you have requested anyway:

0: Same problem, no other issues
1: Same problem, no other issues
2: Unable to acquire stream, arecord signal overrun!!! (at least 377,780 ms
long) and no audio is acquired
3: No clicking in the acquired stream!
4: Same problem, no other issues

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Microphone distorted sound on ALC892/1220 on AMD chipsets

Status in Linux:
  Confirmed
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Not sure if I'll report this upstream but there is definitely an issue
  with microphone recording on my desktop, this is not happening on my
  laptop which has a different codec.

  Already tried all workarounds possible, no luck. Only with my desktop
  with this particular motherboard. No issues in Windows, the sound
  recorded in there is distorted and has some static and robotic tone on
  high-pitch.

  alsa-info on the attachments