Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. I appreciate the quality of this bug report and I'm sure
it'll be helpful to others experiencing the same issue.

This is even slightly worse IMHO as it does stripped mapping.
If on a server you have

$ ll \[a\]/ a
'[a]/':
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Sep  9 09:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 9 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Sep  9 09:51 ../
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu    0 Sep  9 09:51 foo

a:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Sep  9 09:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 9 ubuntu ubuntu 4096 Sep  9 09:51 ../
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu    0 Sep  9 09:51 foo

And you are in there with sftp and try to get the file from [a] then you
will get the "other one".

sftp> pwd
Remote working directory: /home/ubuntu/[a]
sftp> ls
foo
sftp> get foo
Fetching /home/ubuntu/a/foo to foo

Never the less this sounds like an upstream bug/feature-request to me request
I'd think.
Well and it sit around without anyone noticing for years :-/
But today is my bug triage duty and I at least want to guide you to the right
place :-)

I tried this up to (including) the last version of 8.0p1.
But as much as this seems wrong, this isn't (IMHO) the kind of issue that
Ubuntu would develop on its own and keep a delta. After all name/path handling
often is security relevant and important for scripts (you'd not want different
hosts to behave differently).

The best route to getting it fixed in Ubuntu in this case would be to
file an upstream bug if you're able to do that. Otherwise, I'm not sure
what we can do directly in Ubuntu to fix the problem.

If you do end up filing an upstream bug, please link to it from here.
Thanks!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  Issues traversing a sftp server when files or folders contain the
  character "]"

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:

  I am unsure if the bug is with openssh sftp client or within openssh-
  sftp-server

  When traversing an sftp server, I encounter issues for files and, in
  particular, directories containing the character "]". Tab completion
  does not escape the character in sftp shell, however, in bash it will
  escape the character for tab completion. If I "cd" into a directory
  that contains the character I cannot get any files with in that
  directory and I have to rename the directory outside of the sftp shell
  to remove the character in order to be able to correctly get files.

  Ex:

  sftp> cd Movie\ \[1080p]/
  sftp> ls
  Movie.1080p.mp4
  sftp> get Movie.1080p.mp4
  File "/home/hitsuji/movies/Movie [1080p]/Movie.1080p.mp4" not found.
  sftp>

  Package: openssh-client 1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-45.60~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt14
  Uname: Linux 3.16.0-45-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Tue Aug 11 14:36:00 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20150218.1)
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   ssh-askpass       N/A
   libpam-ssh        N/A
   keychain          N/A
   ssh-askpass-gnome 1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2
  SSHClientVersion: OpenSSH_6.6.1p1 Ubuntu-2ubuntu2, OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
  SourcePackage: openssh