I can also reproduce this on both of my computers running Xubuntu 19.04,
a desktop and a laptop.

Just to be extra clear on what the issue is:

If the computer is left idle for 10 minutes, the screen locks. When 15
minutes have passed, it should suspend, but it never does. I unlock the
screen to investigate why, and find that there is a prompt window asking
my password in order to allow the system to suspend.

What usually happens as a consequence:

I fall asleep with the laptop still running, and on the next day the
thing is powered off with only 1% of battery power. It stayed ON all
night.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to policykit-desktop-
privileges in Ubuntu.

  Desktop unable to Suspend when Inactive

Status in policykit-desktop-privileges package in Ubuntu:

  On 16.04 (XFCE session and others) and possibly later the power-
  manager is unable to suspend the system when the user is inactive. A
  PK user-agent dialog is presented for the user to authenticate first -
  and as this action occurs specifically when the user is idle and away
  the PC can end up having an unplanned loss of power when the battery
  is exhausted.

  /var/log/auth.log shows:

  polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-session:c2 FAILED to
  authenticate to gain authorization for action
  org.freedesktop.login1.suspend for system-bus-name::1.47 [xfce4-power-
  manager --restart --sm-client-id 2992705d4-6fa2-4fba-966c-
  f7631ecd0b46] (owned by unix-user:tj)

  The problem seems to be "com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla" is missing an entry
  to allow Suspend. Currently it only has an entry for hibernate.

  Adding the following stanza solves the issue:

  [Enable suspend by default in logind]
  Identity=unix-user:*

Action=org.freedesktop.login1.suspend;org.freedesktop.login1.inhibit-handle-suspend-key;org.freedesktop.login1;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-ignore-inhibit
  ResultActive=yes
  ResultInactive=yes