Closing this bug with Won't fix as this kernel is no longer supported.
Please feel free to open a new bug report if you're still experiencing this on
a newer release (Bionic 18.04.3 / Disco 19.04)
Thanks!

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Can't create new wireless network using mac80211 based drivers

Status in NetworkManager:
  Unknown
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in ltsp package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in wpasupplicant package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager package in Debian:

  I am trying to create a new wireless network (particularly, with no
  encryption) with the gnome applet. However, I just get the message
  "Trying to connect to wireless network  «(null)»". Then, after a
  couple of minutes or so, it gets back to the cabled connection and no
  wireless connection is created.

  I am using Gutsy, network-manager 0.6.5-0ubuntu16.7.10.0 and network-
  manager-gnome 0.6.5-0ubuntu11~7.10.0.

  Updated description: The original reporter used ipw2200, but for that driver
a bug has already been reported for this isse: Bug #75358.
  This bug now addresses users with mac20811-based drivers, since the majority
of the commenters have such cards/drivers.

  The bug has persisted in Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid and even Jaunty RC...