Public bug reported:

After upgrade to 19.10, I found that my Delete key was not working as a
Delete key, but that instead if I hit Delete twice it would print the
character ☭.

Since others were not reporting this issue, I had a look around at my
input config and remembered that I had ibus configured from a long time
ago in order to support Chinese input.

If I disable ibus (either by unsetting the environment variables; or by
killing ibus-daemon), then the Delete key works again as expected.

This is a regression in behavior since Ubuntu 19.04, where I had the
same input setup on my desktop but the Delete key worked without
problems.

I'm also not sure how to disable ibus, now that I am in this situation;
or if ibus is expected to always be running.

The problem persists if I run ibus-setup and remove Chinese SunPinyin
from the list of input methods, leaving only "English - English (US)".

** Affects: ibus (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ibus (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to ibus in Ubuntu.

  ibus in 19.10 breaks the delete key, maps <Delete><Delete> to ☭

Status in ibus package in Ubuntu: