Public bug reported:

For a very long time, I've never/rarely needed to hand-type file
paths/names - it is extremely slow, error-proning and requiring a lot
more work (reading/clicking/moving cursors) to do this simple task.

Instead, I use tabs in a terminal to navigate, pwd to print, and
copy/paste to another file browser or window to use the full path. In
many file browsers (like Thunar), I could also single click on the file,
and directly paste it to the address bar and it directly gives the full
file name.

But this becomes increasingly difficult to do on the GTK file chooser
rolled out sometimes ago. The file chooser window first removed the file
path address bar, but at least there was a button I can click to show it
to copy/paste. Then, even that button disappeared - after many
frustrating hours, the only way to show the address bar is "Ctrl+L",
after reading many similarly frustrated posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=unable+to+type+path+dialog+ubuntu
https://www.google.com/search?q=unable+to+type+path+dialog+site%3Aaskubuntu.com&oq=unable+to+type+path+dialog+site
https://www.google.com/search?q=can+not+type+path+in+file+selector+linux+site:askubuntu.com

>From the long lists of complains that one can find online (I could
easily find more), I think this just prove that removing/hiding the
address bar is very counter intuitive and should be reverted.

I see where this came from - to mimic Mac OS, like most GNOME
style/appearance was trying to achieve, and this setting maybe cleaner
and easier to attract less experienced users, but for people use Linux
for work day-in-and-day-out, this is highly annoying and counter
productive.

Here I would like to petition to revert the change and bring back the
address bar in the file chooser dialog (which is shared among not just
GNOME, but other GTK based desktops, such as xfce), or at least bring
back the button option.

** Affects: gtk+3.0 (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "current file chooser"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1863157/+attachment/5328055/+files/Screenshot_2020-02-13_14-01-19.png

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  Petition to bring back file name copy/paste functionality in GTK file
  chooser

Status in gtk+3.0 package in Ubuntu:

[...]

  From the long lists of complains that one can find online (I could