I notice that the output from setupcon mentions loading the font twice.
That seems to correspond to this fragment of code in setupcon:

# FONTFILES
FONTFILES=''
if [ "$FONT" ]; then
    for f in $FONT; do
        FONTFILES="$FONTFILES `findfile $fontdir $f`"
        RES=`findfile $fontdir $f`
        if [ -z "$RES" ]; then
            fdec="${f%.gz}"
            RES=`findfile $fontdir $fdec`
        fi
        FONTFILES="$FONTFILES $RES"
    done
fi

It looks to me like this will add each font file to FONTFILES twice,
once in the first line of the loop body, and once in the last.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to console-setup in Ubuntu.

  setupcon cannot handle large fonts in FONT, "putfont: KDFONTOP:
  Invalid argument"

Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu:

  When I specify a large font file using the FONT variable in .console-
  setup, setupcon fails to load the font, reporting "putfont: KDFONTOP:
  Invalid argument".  If I specify the same font by setting CODESET,
  FONTFACE, and FONTSIZE, the setupcon loads it fine.

  For instance, if I have the following files:

  bjh21@sole:~$ tail .console-setup.test*
  ==> .console-setup.test1 <==
  VERBOSE_OUTPUT="no"
  ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
  CHARMAP="UTF-8"
  CODESET="Uni2"
  FONTFACE="Terminus"
  FONTSIZE="32x16"

  ==> .console-setup.test2 <==
  VERBOSE_OUTPUT="no"
  ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
  CHARMAP="UTF-8"
  FONT=Uni2-Terminus32x16.psf.gz

  ==> .console-setup.test3 <==
  VERBOSE_OUTPUT="no"
  ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
  CHARMAP="UTF-8"
  FONT=Uni2-Terminus16.psf.gz

  Running "setupcon test1" correctly loads Uni2-Terminus32x16, but
  "setupcon test2" does not, reporting "putfont: KDFONTOP: Invalid
  argument".  "setupcon test3" works, demonstrating that not all uses of
  FONT are broken.

  I've attached the verbose output from "setupcon -v test2".

  Package: console-setup 1.178ubuntu2.9
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.11
  Architecture: i386
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7:ubuntu
  Date: Thu Feb 27 20:40:08 2020
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is a distribution channel descriptor
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-motts-20100121-3
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 "Karmic" - Build i386 LIVE Binary
20100121-21:52
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: console-setup