This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [Regression] DELL DIMENSION E520 -STAC9227 - No sound through
  headphone jack since last update of ubuntu 12.04.1LTS

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Since the last update of ubuntu 12.04LTS, I cannot get sound through
  my headphone jack. The sound can still be heard with the external
  speaker jack, but not from my front headphones jack.

  The version of pulseaudio that causes troubles has number
  1:1.1-0ubuntu15.2.

  Reverting back to 1:1.1-0ubuntu15 and then rebooting fixes the
  problem.

  I noticed, with version 15.2 that when I plugged the headphone set,
  the sound settings window swithed from "speakers" to "headphones". On
  the contrary, with the older 15 version, when I plug the headphone,
  the sound settings window stays on "speakers", though I hear the sound
  via the headphones.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:1.1-0ubuntu15
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  AplayDevices:
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.1
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  christophe   2141 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   christophe   2141 F...m pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xdffdc000 irq 44'
     Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9227'
     Components : 'HDA:83847618,102801dd,00100201'
     Controls      : 39
     Simple ctrls  : 22