When running previous (18.xx LTS and 16.xx LTS) options in MAAS for
commissioning it skipped the scripts because it said the drives do not
support RAID. Perhaps that ties in with Alberto's comment. I'm not too
familiar with SMART but I'm not sure why the drives don't support it, I
thought they did. Or is that it is because it is behind a hardware raid
controller that SMART cannot be exposed/ran to test on?

Maybe that answer is less relevant to this discussion, but I wanted to
report back that running the other releases as requested passed, but due
to SKIPPING the scripts.

Thanks and hope that helps,

-cees

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to util-linux in Ubuntu.

  smartctl-validate is borked in a recent release

Status in lxd:
  Unknown
Status in MAAS:
  Triaged
Status in util-linux package in Ubuntu:

  Bug (maybe?) details first, diatribe second.

  Bug Summary: multi-hdd / raid with multiple drives / multiple devices
  or something along those lines cannot be commissioned anymore: 2.4.x
  worked fine, 2.7.0 does not.

  Here is the script output of smartctl-validate:

  -----
  # /dev/sda (Model: PERC 6/i, Serial: 6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac)

  Unable to run 'smartctl-validate': Storage device 'PERC 6/i' with serial
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac' not found!
  This indicates the storage device has been removed or the OS is unable to
find it due to a hardware failure. Please re-commission this node to
re-discover the storage devices, or delete this device manually.
  Given parameters:
  {'storage': {'argument_format': '{path
          }', 'type': 'storage', 'value': {'id_path':
'/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac', 'model': 'PERC 6/i',
'name': 'sda', 'physical_blockdevice_id': 33, 'serial':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac'
          }
      }
  }
  Discovered storage devices: [
      {'NAME': 'sda', 'MODEL': 'PERC_6/i', 'SERIAL':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac'
      },
      {'NAME': 'sdb', 'MODEL': 'PERC_6/i', 'SERIAL':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0'
      },
      {'NAME': 'sr0', 'MODEL': 'TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV-28SW', 'SERIAL':
'10092013112645'
      }
  ]
  Discovered interfaces: {'xx: xx: xx: xx: xx: xx': 'eno1'
  }
  -----
  -----
  # /dev/sdb (Model: PERC 6/i, Serial: 6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0)
  Unable to run 'smartctl-validate': Storage device 'PERC 6/i' with serial
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0' not found!
  This indicates the storage device has been removed or the OS is unable to
find it due to a hardware failure. Please re-commission this node to
re-discover the storage devices, or delete this device manually.
  Given parameters: {'storage': {'argument_format': '{path
          }', 'type': 'storage', 'value': {'id_path':
'/dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0', 'model': 'PERC 6/i',
'name': 'sdb', 'physical_blockdevice_id': 34, 'serial':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0'
          }
      }
  }
  Discovered storage devices: [
      {'NAME': 'sda', 'MODEL': 'PERC_6/i', 'SERIAL':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66c9220df4ac'
      },
      {'NAME': 'sdb', 'MODEL': 'PERC_6/i', 'SERIAL':
'6842b2b0740e9900260e66f924ecece0'
      },
      {'NAME': 'sr0', 'MODEL': 'TEAC_DVD-ROM_DV-28SW', 'SERIAL':
'10092013112645'
      }
  ]
  Discovered interfaces: {'xx: xx: xx: xx: xx: xx': 'eno1'
  }
  -----

  You can see that it says the storage cannot be found and immediately
  lists it as a discovered device. It does it for both tests (one for
  each drive), and for both servers

  Bug Details:
  I had maas 2.4.x for the longest time over my journey (see below journey) and
have never had any problems re-commissioning (or deleting and re-discovering
over boot PXE) 2 of my servers (r610, r710).

  r610 has an iPERC 6, four 10K X00GB drives configured in a RAID10, 1 virtual
disk.
  r710 has an iPERC 6, 6x 2TB drives, configured in a RAID10, 2 virtual disks

  So commission after commission trying to get through my journey, 0
  problems. After I finally get everything figured out on the juju,
  network/vlan, quad-nic end, I go to re-commission and I cannot.
  smartctl-validate fails on both, over and over again. I even destroyed
  and re-created the raid/VDs, still not.

  After spending so much time on it I remembered that it was the first
  time I had tried to re-commission these two servers since doing an
  upgrade from 2.4.x->2.7 in an effort to use the updated KVM
  integration to add a couple more guests. Once I got all everything
  figured out I went to re-commission everything and boom.

  [Upgrade path notes]
  In full disclosure, in case this matters. I was on apt install of 2.4.x and
using snap for 2.7, except it didn't work. So I read on how to do apt 2.7 and
did that and did not uninstall snap 2.7 yet. I wanted to migrate from apt to
snap but do not know how to without losing all maas data and could not find
docs on it, so a problem for another day. But in case that is part of the
problem for some odd reason, I wanted to share.

  [Diatribe]
  My journey to get maas+juju+openstack+kubernets has been less then stellar. I
have ran into problem after problem; albeit some of which were my own. I am so
close, after spending the last 6 months on/off when I had time, and really
hardcore the last 4 days. The last half day of which has been this little gem.
Maas has been pretty fun to work with but some thing have been the biggest pain
in the a-hole to understand. Like un/managed subnets comes to mind: "Managed:
we're going to use IPs, even with DHCP off. Unmanaged: We're still going to use
IPs, but be different". Anyway, this doesn't belong here, if it gets modded out
that's fine. It makes me feel a little better typing it knowing that I *think*
my last problem was solved to get this up and running; just trying to
contribute something that I can, back"

  I did want to say thanks to those made/maintain maas. Despite the
  problems I somehow always run into I have enjoyed figuring it out.

  -Red