Public bug reported:

Hello,
In Ubuntu 20.04:
After system boot there is sound and when I adjust volume with the slide (top
right corner of the screen) it produces default sound. About 10 minutes (may be
related to loading of certain s/w) later during the same session the slider
stops producing sound when I adjust volume. System sound is still present. I
also noticed that in Settings->Sound two more entries appear in  "Volume
levels": 1. Speech-dispatcher-dummy; 2. Speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng. These two
entries are not present there right after system boot when everything works
fine. I also see these errors in Logs: "sof-audio-pci 0000:00:1f.3: error: no
reply expected, received 0x0".
This bug is reproducible.

** Affects: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Volume slider doesn't produce sound

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu: