You should check your system configuration, specifically how you have
resolved configured.  Try looking at the output of:

$ systemd-resolve --status

Since you haven't even mentioned what Ubuntu release you're using, that's about
all I can suggest without more info.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Host name not resolved

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Systemd-resolved fails to resolve a host which has a private IP address, even
though its DNS entry is public. This happens even when I am connected to a VPN
where the host resides.
  Interestingly, if I manually issue a `host -a` request, the host gets
resolved, and further resolution works until its cached entry times out.

  Here's some hopefully helpful output of me running `nslookup` and
  `host`:

  # nslookup
  > presto.lmta.lt
  Server:               127.0.0.53
  Address:      127.0.0.53#53

  Non-authoritative answer:
  *** Can't find presto.lmta.lt: No answer
  > server 8.8.8.8
  Default server: 8.8.8.8
  Address: 8.8.8.8#53
  > presto.lmta.lt
  Server:               8.8.8.8
  Address:      8.8.8.8#53

  Non-authoritative answer:
  Name: presto.lmta.lt
  Address: 10.41.0.118
  > server 127.0.0.53
  Default server: 127.0.0.53
  Address: 127.0.0.53#53
  > presto.lmta.lt
  Server:               127.0.0.53
  Address:      127.0.0.53#53

  Non-authoritative answer:
  *** Can't find presto.lmta.lt: No answer
  [^D pressed]

  # host presto.lmta.lt
  [no output at all. I immediately run the next command]

  # host -a presto.lmta.lt
  Trying "presto.lmta.lt"
  ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;presto.lmta.lt.                      IN      ANY

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  presto.lmta.lt.               3599    IN      A       10.41.0.118

  Received 48 bytes from 127.0.0.53#53 in 57 ms

  [then immediately afterwards:]
  # host presto.lmta.lt
  presto.lmta.lt has address 10.41.0.118

  # nslookup