> status:       Unknown → Fix Released

Still affects me too. I don't see fix released for Bionic.

  Failed to add PIDs to scope's control group

Status in systemd:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:

  [impact]

  systemd-run --user --scope fails

  [test case]

  $ systemd-run --user --scope echo hello
  Job for run-r150c7437bf8a4c5e919acbbc3de0b29c.scope failed.
  See "systemctl status run-r150c7437bf8a4c5e919acbbc3de0b29c.scope" and
"journalctl -xe" for details.

  [regression potential]

  large.  this is fixed upstream by a large sequence of patches, and
  would need careful attention applying them all to make sure no
  regressions were introduced.

  If I, or anyone else, attempts this backport, they definitely need to
  add more detail to this section.

  [scope]

  This is fixed upstream by this large PR:
  https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/8125

  That's included starting in systemd v238, so just missed the Bionic
  version.  This is fixed already in all releases after Bionic, and
  needed only for Bionic.

  [original description]

  When I launch applications with flatpak, "journalctl -f" shows the following:

  Jan 11 22:44:13 localhost systemd[1244]: flatpak-org.kde.krita-8134.scope:
Failed to add PIDs to scope's control group: Permission denied
  Jan 11 22:44:13 localhost systemd[1244]: Failed to start
flatpak-org.kde.krita-8134.scope.
  Jan 11 22:44:13 localhost systemd[1244]: flatpak-org.kde.krita-8134.scope:
Unit entered failed state.

  I explicitly mentioned "Kubuntu" in the summary, because I experience
  this only under Kubuntu (17.10 and 18.04), NOT under the regular
  Gnome-based Ubuntu Desktop (17.10). At first this error message seemed
  harmless, because it looked like it had no effect. But now I noticed
  that with certain flatpak apps, the file open dialog would not pop up.
  And I too experienced this only under Kubuntu, not Ubuntu or Fedora
  (all tested). So there might be a connection.

  I first reported this to flatpak:

  https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/1216

  There it was suggested to try the following command:

  $ systemd-run --user --scope echo hello
  Job for run-r150c7437bf8a4c5e919acbbc3de0b29c.scope failed.
  See "systemctl status run-r150c7437bf8a4c5e919acbbc3de0b29c.scope" and
"journalctl -xe" for details.

  ...and this one also fails.