So i think this is what happens:

systemd-fsckd starts, flashes the message on how to skip it.

Realiases there are no fscks to run, and exits, without clearing the
Ctrl+C imaage.

Then we freeze that output until gdm starts.

Previously, we only flashed "Ctrl+C message" upon receiving the first
update from fsck, and cleared it after fsckd exits. This is not
happening anymore.

I'm not sure if fsckd is sending the wrong messages, or if plymouth is
not processing them correctly.

** Changed in: plymouth (Ubuntu Focal)

** Changed in: plymouth (Ubuntu Groovy)

  disk check progress no longer visible

Status in plymouth package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in plymouth source package in Focal:
  New
Status in systemd source package in Focal:
  New
Status in plymouth source package in Groovy:
  New
Status in systemd source package in Groovy:

  It seems the transition to bgrt lost something with Ubuntu's disk
  check details. The only thing I see on my screen during a long disk
  check is the "press Ctrl-C to stop all in progress disk checks" with
  no progress.