If it is masked, is it running?

If it is not running, why are you trying to stop it?

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  ubuntu_ltp_syscalls failed to run on Focal s390x, unable to restart
  systemd-timesyncd.service

Status in ubuntu-kernel-tests:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Issue found on 5.4.0-34.38 s390x LPAR / zVM

  We need to stop timesyncd for the following tests:
  ['leapsec01','stime01','settimeofday01','clock_settime01']

  But it looks like when we're trying to restart it:
     systemctl start systemd-timesyncd

  It will fail with:
    Failed to start systemd-timesyncd.service: Unit systemd-timesyncd.service
is masked.

  This issue did not happen on 5.4.0-33.37, the ubuntu_ltp_syscalls test can
finish with that kernel.