#6 Chris quote:
4. Go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Users and Groups".
5. Change password from "Asked on logon" to "Not asked on logon".
6. Lock your machine.
7. Press "Switch User".
8. Observe no password is required to unlock as the current user.

I confirm this issue on Ubuntu Mate 20.04.0 in a virtual machine. I can
reproduce it each times.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lock screen can be bypassed when auto-login is enabled.

Status in Ubuntu MATE:
  Confirmed
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in mate-session-manager package in Ubuntu:

  16.04 LTS
  =========

  Hi,

  My machine is set up with full-disk encryption, so it requires a
  password when I boot it up. Because of this I thought I would enable
  auto-login to avoid having to enter two passwords at boot.

  When I leave my computer for short periods of time, I lock it. I
  thought this was working fine for a long time, but I've discovered the
  lock screen is actually easily bypassable when auto-login is enabled.
  All one has to do is click "Switch User" on the lock screen, then
  press "Unlock" and the computer unlocks without prompting for a
  password.

  Perhaps this is just me being an idiot, but I thought this was secure
  until now. It seems like either unlocking should always require a
  password (otherwise what's the point of locking in the first place) or
  it should be made totally obvious that unlocking doesn't actually
  require a password (i.e. removing the password box from the lock
  screen when auto-login is enabled).

  Thanks,
  Chris