In focal there are no longer problems with this, issues can be reported
via drkonqui and everything works normally.

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  apport-kde from xenial crashes due to charset encodings

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:

  When using apport-collect in an environment with kde, it consistently
  crashes

  ---------------------------
  $ apport-collect 1589997
  dpkg-query: no packages found matching linux
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/apport/apport-kde", line 530, in <module>
      sys.exit(UserInterface.run_argv())
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apport/ui.py", line 653, in run_argv
      return self.run_update_report()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apport/ui.py", line 569, in
run_update_report
      response = self.ui_present_report_details(allowed_to_report)
    File "/usr/share/apport/apport-kde", line 367, in ui_present_report_details
      desktop_info)
    File "/usr/share/apport/apport-kde", line 184, in __init__
      self.ui.ui_update_view(self)
    File "/usr/share/apport/apport-kde", line 358, in ui_update_view
      QTreeWidgetItem(keyitem, [str(line)])
  UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position
21: ordinal not in range(128)

  There is a patch in a comment in this bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/1368911) by @schmod, but
the bug is for apport, hence I am opening this as a new one.
  I tested the patch on my system and now it works as expected.