** Package changed: udev (Ubuntu) => systemd (Ubuntu)

  udev /dev/null incorrect permissions after package auto upgrades

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I've been attempting to determine root cause of this problem for
  months.

  Symptom is group/other permissions being dropped from all /dev/*
  files.

  This only occurs on some machines, so some machine udev updates work,
  some machines quietly fail.

  Looks like the problem relates to...

  1) APT /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic APT::Periodic::Update-Package-
  Lists == 1, which triggers auto upgrades for critical packages.

  2) This triggers the udev package run as an unattended/automatic
  upgrade.

  3) When udev package updates, /var/log/dpkg.log shows no errors.

  4) /dev/* files have group/other permissions stripped.

  5) LXD containers become unstable, as containers /dev points to
  machine /dev.

  Temp fix is change /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10periodic - APT::Periodic
  ::Update-Package-Lists == 0 to disable all unattended upgrades.

  Someone let me know where I can find APT/DPKG logs detailing exactly
  what post install hook scripts run for udev, so I can look for errors.

  Or if log verbosity has to be increased for this level of logging, let
  me know how to increase verbosity, so next time udev updates, I can
  provide logging detail sufficient to generate a fix for this problem.