I think this postinst bit never considered the fresh install case:

# special case of having /etc/default/motd-news removed by hand
# signal the motd-news-config package that this happened, so that
# it does not put back the file with default contents which would
# re-enable motd-news
motd_news_config="/etc/default/motd-news"
if [ ! -e ${motd_news_config} ]; then
  if [ ! -e ${motd_news_config}.dpkg-remove ]; then
    if [ ! -e ${motd_news_config}.dpkg-backup ]; then
      touch ${motd_news_config}.wasremoved
    fi
  fi
fi

Having it only act on upgrades might be the easier fix. I'll test.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to base-files in Ubuntu.

  groovy debootstrap leaves /e/d/motd-news.wasremoved around

Status in base-files package in Ubuntu:

  When debootstrapping groovy, we see an empty /etc/default/motd-
  news.wasremoved file.

  - groovy: base-files 11ubuntu12
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 set 11 10:20 /etc/default/motd-news.wasremoved

  If motd-news-config is later installed, maybe via ubuntu-server, then
  the presence of this file will disable motd-news by default, which is
  unintended as it's meant to be enabled on a server.