Maintainers are free to remove python2 if there are no reverse dependencies
left for the obvious unsupportability.
This happened here in [1] to resolve [2]

There also is no installation candidate left in a recent archive. Maybe
replaces/breaks was a bit too much (as users like you could be happy to
keep the old one around on an upgrade). But I'm unsure about the policy
on such cleanups, maybe it was intentional to remove old no more
supported bits. If you read the Debian bug I linked that makes sense.

This isn't jsuta n Ubuntu/Debian decision, also all upstream archives/support
for 2.x have ended.
I'm unsure what to do here, asking you to get your application that depends on
it upgraded?

[1]:
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/chardet/-/commit/5b4be98c3c408e1b73f94f8fb133bb7ceadec81f
[2]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=936289

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #936289

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3-chardet in Ubuntu.

  python3-chardet breaks install of python-chardet

Status in python3-chardet package in Ubuntu:

  I'm trying to install python-chardet (for python-2.7), but it fails
  because latest python3-chardet breaks python-chardet. I fail to
  understand why the python3 version of chardet would break the
  python2.7 version of the same module.

  PS: I know that python2.7 is not supported anymore, but I have an
  application that depends on it, and I need to install it, and that's
  now impossible because of this bug.