Aha, this is the issue. Below is an event from running inside Unity 8.
We are getting up and down events but they don't have a button state
(they appear to be finger events). So we're not going to generate a GDK
event for this. Unity 8 must have switched from generating mouse events
to finger events (even though I am using a mouse).

MOTION
 Device 0
 Source 4098
 Action down
 Flags
 Modifiers
 Edge Flags 0
 Button State
 Offset (0.000000, 0.000000)
 Precision (0.100000, 0.100000)
 Down Time 0
 Event Time 1415159489613000000
 Pointer Coordinates
  ID=0 location=(633.000000, 285.000000) raw=(633.000000, 285.000000)
touch=(0.000000, 0.000000) size=0.000000 pressure=0.781250 orientation=0.000000
croll=(0.000000, 0.000000) tool=finger

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gtk+3.0 in Ubuntu.

  [gtk-mir-backend] Clicking seems to confuse GTK (or the shell)

Status in “gtk+3.0” package in Ubuntu:

  Using utopic or current vivid, clicking on buttons/menubar in gtk
  application under unity8-mir leads to not working softwares.

  Not sure if that's the GTK backend or Mir to blame

  Small example attached, the program has a button and a label, click on the
button should display "clicked!".
  Under unity8 the button seems to stop reacting after the first click and
sometime the program closes

  (compile with "gcc button.c -o button`pkgconfig --cflags --libs
  gtk+-3.0`", to run it you need to have a .desktop running the binary
  and including the X-Ubuntu-Touch=true key)