uninstalled some more hooks and got initrd size of 10 MB (I don't use mdadm on
my laptop unlike on server)
so everything is probably working well. feel free to close this as "not a bug".

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  initramfs-tools ignores the FRAMEBUFFER option _again_

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  see lp:1561643 for the previous 3-year discussion having resulted in a
  (temporary) fix.

  Currently, running Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute, I noticed +60MB growth in initrd
files again.
  Doing lsinitramfs on these images, I found that they are happily stuffed with
i915 and amdgpu modules, as well as with netronome nic firmwares which of
course everyone surely needs, making initrd of 73 MB.
  That's with MODULES=dep and FRAMEBUFFER=n in
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf

  this does not happen with Ubuntu 20.04, with same options in initramfs.conf.
  On my Focal system, initrd images have size of 12MB, with largest components
being .so libraries and lvm executable.

  So, I would conclude that initramfs-tools reintroduced this
  misbehavior after 20.04 release but in some different way. Now trying
  to compare /usr/share/initramfs-tools content between 20.04 and 21.04.
  Probably the title of this bug will need to be changed. As I am not
  allowed to reopen lp:1561643 , I am creating a new bug.