Public bug reported:

Purpose of gdebi is to allow installing packages from a file. However,
it's been 6 years since apt supported installation from a file¹. Let's
make it easier on both maintainers and the people who have to
install/use `gdebi` and then may need to search nuances, like passing
options to dpkg.

As far as I read gdebi man page, its functional seems fully covered by
apt. The only thing I'm a bit in doubts about is the `root` option. But
from my reading of docs, it seems that `gdebi --root=/foo myfile.deb`
would be analogous to `apt install -o Dpkg::Options::="--root=/foo"
./myfile.deb`.

So, my suggesttion: installing gdebi on currently supported releases
should print a deprecation notice that explains how a user can install
local files with `apt` instead. Then eventually remove gdebi from
repositories.

I tried contacting maintainers of gdebi to ask whether it's worth adding
a deprecation notice, but haven't found any ways to do that, and so I
went straight to creating a report here.

1: https://mvogt.wordpress.com/2015/11/30/apt-1-1-released/

** Affects: gdebi (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

[...]

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdebi in Ubuntu.

  Deprecating gdebi

Status in gdebi package in Ubuntu: