Wearing my SRU-hat here, I think we need to consider a few things:
 * Generally for SRUs we prefer not to pull in new upstream releases if there
is no need. So of course, if possible, cherry-picking fixes is preferred.
 * But on the other hand, if the number of changes that need to be performed to
get the functionality added (and bug fixed) is too high, then we start getting
into the territory of regression-risk if the cherry-picks are incomplete or
buggy.

So first thing I'd like to know is how big of a changeset would be
needed to get this into the current focal iptables version. Once we have
that info, another thing that might be good to do is to contact the
Ubuntu Security Team for opinion - this package is managed by their team
and I'd like to hear their opinion about which approach they prefer (for
maintenance purposes). A review by them of the cherry-picks would be
welcome as well.

Generally we try not to introduce new features for stable releases, but
we might make an exception here. But I'd certainly like for us to think
a bit about our steps forward.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iptables in Ubuntu.

  iptables-restore is missing -w option

Status in iptables package in Ubuntu:

  For CRIU we need to have iptables version 1.6.2 which includes the
  '-w' option in iptables-restore.

  This is a request to update iptables to 1.6.2 in 18.10 and if possible
  backport the necessary changes to 18.04.

  The CRIU project gets right now many bug reports (mostly in the
  combination LXD + CRIU) due to the missing '-w' option in iptables-
  restore. Especially as 18.04 will be around for some time it would be
  good to have iptables-restore available with '-w'.

  This is one example bug report: https://github.com/checkpoint-
  restore/criu/issues/551

  But not only CRIU would benefit from this change. It seems also
  problematic with Kubernetes:
  https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/60978

  So if possible, please update iptables to 1.6.2 (or backport changes)
  to support -w in iptables-restore.