This is still a major problem - i don't dare to leave my house for
multiple days without given a neighbour a key to do the manual
keystrokes necessary to work around this problem.

  stop job timeout loops forever

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  On my Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS with the most recent software updates I regularly
run into a situation
  where the reboot of the machine will hang with a message
   A stop job is running for ... (1min 23s / 1min 30s)

  which is already annoying by itself see e.g.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1457400

  what is worse is that after 90 secs the message changes to
   A stop job is running for ... (1min 31s / 3min 0s)
  and so on which effectively means the machine will not reboot since this
seems to go on for ever (I tried at least for 15 minutes ...)

  The reason for the stop job behavior seems to be a cifs mount from the
machine to one of it's virtual machine. The shutdown sequence seems to be that
the virtual machines are shutdown first than the try to unmount the CIFS share
will obviously fail (which in fact would not be any big deal at all). First
I'll now try to workaround this bug but this bug indeed has horrible
consequences:
  - the machine will not properly reboot by itself any more needing human
intervention
  - since the console is not accessible a hard reset is needed
  - the hard reset will cause a file system check since the cifs mounts are
unmounted before the physical drives so the file systems on the physical drives
are not shut down properl.y
  - on my machine there are several multi-terrabyte drives where the filesystem
checks will take approx an hour
  - so each reboot at this time might take at least an hour and an ugly
procedure - thats not what I expect from an OS in this century ...