On a closer look it may just be a mirror inconsistency.

There's no Phased-Update-Percentage field in
/var/lib/apt/lists/lt.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-
updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages for the libssl-dev entry, and the
only available version is 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4.

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- cannot install libssl-dev due to phased updates
+ cannot install libssl-dev due to phased updates?

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  cannot install libssl-dev due to phased updates?

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have two Vagrant boxes: one with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, one with Ubuntu
  20.04 LTS.  Both currently refuse to install libssl-dev for me:

  vagrant@ubuntu2004:~$ sudo apt install libssl-dev
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

   libssl-dev : Depends: libssl1.1 (= 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4) but 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5
is to be installed

  vagrant@ubuntu2004:~$ apt policy libssl-dev
  libssl-dev:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4
    Version table:
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4 500
          500 http://lt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64
Packages
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.3 500
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64
Packages
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2 500
          500 http://lt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  vagrant@ubuntu2004:~$ apt policy libssl1.1
  libssl1.1:
    Installed: 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5
    Candidate: 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5
    Version table:
   *** 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5 100
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4 500
          500 http://lt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64
Packages
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.3 500
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64
Packages
       1.1.1f-1ubuntu2 500
          500 http://lt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

  (The 18.04 box is in a similar situation.)

  packages.ubuntu.com says that libssl1.1 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5 is the
  current version available in focal-updates.  I'm pretty sure my VM
  here doesn't see it because of apt's phased updates (but I only know
  this because I'm following the blogs on Planet Ubuntu; the error
  message give no clue!).

  I have no idea how to resolve this in a generic way (it's an Ansible
  playbook that fails for me).  As a manual fix, I suppose I could
  downgrade libssl1.1 to 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.4, but I don't want to hardcode
  specific version numbers -- I expect 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.5 will be
  available universally some time soon?

  Package: apt 2.0.6
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Mon Aug 23 07:08:34 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20200731)
  SourcePackage: apt