> How about:
> * New upstream version 3.7 to fix FTBFS (LP: #1940999)

Yes, I like that better.

OK, I have updated my proposal.  I recommend that we address this FTBFS by
using grep 3.7 with built-in regex.  This is a change from current and will
increase binary size.   (180k -> 260k when built locally) but passes all tests
without adding a skip directive.

grep 3.7 looks reasonably benign in terms of a new release.  One change
is called out as neither a feature nor a bug fix, but upstream says it's
only relevant to Windows.  See the NEWS diff for the wording there.  I'm
happy to go the feature freeze exception route, but I think we are
covered based on that ChangeLog/NEWS.  That said, I will defer to
suggestions here.

> If updating grep to 3.7 is the easiest way to fix the problem then we
can consider that.

We could pull out the fix(es) as needed from the gnulib updates but that
sounds like not a generally wise choice.  I have not investigated this
angle.

I believe all feedback has been addressed, except for the forward to
Debian step which I'm intentionally deferring while we discuss
solutions.

Please let me know what you think, Robie.  Thanks!

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to grep in Ubuntu.

  FTBFS against glibc 2.34

Status in grep package in Ubuntu:

  The package grep failed to build in a recent archive rebuild, see
  https://people.canonical.com/~doko/ftbfs-report/test-
  rebuild-20210805-impish-impish.html#foundations-bugs .

  The failure is in automated test, as follows:

  stack-overflow: failed test: grep never printed "stack overflow"
  FAIL: stack-overflow