There is some documentation around how to implement this with netplan
here: https://netplan.io/faq/#use-pre-up%2C-post-up%2C-etc.-hook-scripts

But its basically using the underlying renderer's (NM or networkd-
dispatcher) hooks, as netplan itself is not a networking daemon and
cannot easily listen to netlink changes.

  Not possible to render pre-up, pre-down, post-up, or post-down
  snippets

Status in netplan:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Many configurations require scripts to run before or after an
  interface comes up or down.

  Example: I had a situation where I needed to render a post-up script
  to monitor an interface with ifupdown (and with the interface set to
  manual mode, because if the link was down I didn't want to require
  DHCP to run before the system continued booting). This is similar to
  what NetworkManager does in order to launch (or kill) a DHCP client.

  Other use cases involve setting up custom routes (such as when complex
  logic involving metrics or source routing is required) or anything
  else the designers of the netplan rendering engine didn't think of,
  such as invoking workarounds or special settings required for a
  particular NIC or environment, iptables rules that should be added or
  removed, etc.

  A follow-on issue is, it should be possible to ask that custom scripts
  run if the *link* is detected to come up or down. But I'll be happy if
  netplan first can simply replicate the custom-script-invoking behavior
  of ifupdown.