Thanks for the bug report.

Please ignore Chris.

This is not a bug in apt. Launchpad currently does not preserve an old
version when a new one is phasing, so non-installability can happen
occasionally.

For more details, see bug 1929082. I'm going to mark this as a
duplicate.

   Keep old updates in -updates while new one is being phased

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  package left in uninstallable state, due to "phased 20%"

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  My system has been left unable to install libpulse-dev because the
  staging has caused a dead-lock.

  The maintainer of libpulse has instructed me to open a bug against
  apt.

  See:
  https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+question/699828

  libpulse-dev wants a matched libpulse0 which is impossible.

  This is on Ubuntu 21.10 impish-updates

  There never was a non-ubuntu apt source in the config.

  The apt db is up to date.

  The system is up to date.

  xander@gamer2:~$ sudo apt install libpulse-dev
  [sudo] password for xander:
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.
  The following information may help resolve the situation:

   libpulse-dev : Depends: libpulse0 (= 1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2) but
1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
                  Depends: libpulse-mainloop-glib0 (= 1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2)
but 1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1 is to be installed
  xander@gamer2:~$ apt-cache policy libpulse0
  libpulse0:
    Installed: 1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1
    Candidate: 1:15.0+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1