I'm afraid I can't walk you through resolving a broken upgrade in a bug
report, it's just not the best medium for the job. Nor can I see a
troubleshooting guide that I can recommend.

The process is that you need to complete the apt upgrade. Usually this
involves something like:

# dpkg --configure -a
# apt-get -f install
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

And fix any issues a long the way, until you can get things to complete.
In the example above, removing or upgrading eric would probably allow
python 3.8 to configure.

If you're out of your depth, I'd recommend taking a backup and re-
installing.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to python3-defaults in

  package python3 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade: installed
  python3 package post-installation script subprocess returned error
  exit status 4

Status in eric package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in python3-defaults package in Ubuntu:

  failure when trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 20

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  Package: python3 3.8.2-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Wed Jan 12 11:28:01 2022
  ErrorMessage: installed python3 package post-installation script subprocess
returned error exit status 4
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Beta amd64 (20150805)
  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.8, Python 3.8.10, python3-minimal,
3.8.2-0ubuntu2
  PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.18, python-is-python2, 2.7.17-4
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.19.7ubuntu3
   apt  2.0.6
  SourcePackage: python3-defaults
  Title: package python3 3.8.2-0ubuntu2 failed to install/upgrade: installed
python3 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 4
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2022-01-12 (0 days ago)