One part of this issue seems to be, MAYBE, that VLC is enabling DPMS
somehow. It should not be allowed to do that.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to libxcb in Ubuntu.

  DPMS ignores attempts to DISABLE IT

Status in libxcb package in Ubuntu:

  I'm on a fresh installation of Debian, linux image 5.10, with a radeon
  RX580 gpu.

  My computer is not honoring the setting to "never" turn the monitor
  off, in power settings.

  DPMS is still killing the monitor after 10 minutes. It appears bugged.
  I have to manually turn DPMS with a cron job every 5 minutes to make
  sure it "stays off".

  I don't want DPMS. I want my monitor to always stay on ALWAYS FOREVER
  AND EVER NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. Why is DPMS fighting me???

  How do I completely disable and REMOVE this bugged program "dpms" from
  my system, safely???