We want to implement an explicit allow- and denylist for NM to handle
certain device (or not). NM’s own matching engine is not powerful enough
to handle all of netplan’s matching needs, but it can also be
implemented with udev matching rules, using ENV{NM_UNMANAGED}="1"

We also want to discuss with the desktop team if we really need/want
/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf (this is
a change in Ubuntu's default behavior)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  can't use NM for ethernet device on 20.04 LTS because it is 'strictly
  unmanaged'

Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  I have tried to tell netplan to let my ethernet device be managed by
  NetworkManager, so that I can then configure a pppoe connection on top
  of this device.

  This fails with:

  # nmcli c up netplan-wan
  Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
connection (device lo not available because device is strictly unmanaged).
  #

  I don't know why it mentions 'lo' in that message, but the wan
  interface is unmanaged (as are all devices on the system, but this one
  is supposed to be managed):

  # nmcli d status | grep wan
  wan       ethernet  unmanaged  --
  #

  After much searching, I've figured out that this comes from
  /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf:

  keyfile]
  unmanaged-devices=*,except:type:wifi,except:type:gsm,except:type:cdma

  Even though I've told netplan to use the NM renderer for this device,
  the configuration emitted by netplan is insufficient to override this.

  Using the workaround from
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/71159/network-manager-says-device-not-
  managed (sudo touch /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-
  devices.conf) doesn't work, but if I set NetworkManager as the
  toplevel renderer in /etc/netplan,
  /run/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf is
  emitted, which evidently DOES work.  But I only have one device that I
  want rendered by NM, so I shouldn't have to declare NM at the top
  level of the yaml with a lot of duplication in order to get this
  result.

  I would argue that the 10-globally-managed-devices.conf should not be
  there at all.  But if it is going to be, then netplan needs to
  consistently override it whenever there is any use of the
  NetworkManager backend.