Thank you for taking the time to file a bug report.

I don't know if I fully understand the issue here.  I installed dropbear
inside a container, started it, and then ran ssh-copy-id on the host in
order to copy my public key to the dropbear server.  It got copied
successfully and I was able to login via SSH without issues later.

Could you please provide reproduction steps here?  Also, from your
description, it doesn't seem like this is an openssh bug.  But first we
need to verify whether this is really an issue or not.

Since there is not enough information in your report to begin triage or to
differentiate between a local configuration problem and a bug in Ubuntu, I
am marking this bug as "Incomplete". We would be grateful if you would:
provide a more complete description of the problem, explain why you
believe this is a bug in Ubuntu rather than a problem specific to your
system, and then change the bug status back to "New".

For local configuration issues, you can find assistance here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  ssh-copy-id and Dropbear Server

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:

  on Dropbear SSH Servers ssh-copy-id installs the key in
  /etc/dropbear/authorized_keys

  only the openwrt dropbear server uses that path

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/blob/2211ee0037764e1c6b1576fe7a0975722cd4acdc/package/network/services/dropbear/patches/100-pubkey_path.patch

  the upstream dropbear server uses the normal path
  ~/.ssh/authorized_keys