Yes, same here. I got the same good news with beta image.
Christian, thanks for your help again. I think we can close this bug for now.

  Guest OS customization fail for ubuntu 22.04 desktop in vsphere due to
  adding 'shutdown.target' in file /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-
  networkd.socket

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Problem:
  Guest OS customization fail for ubuntu 22.04 desktop in vsphere due to
adding 'shutdown.target' in file /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.socket

  Analysis
  Compared with Ubuntu 21.04 desktop image, there is a difference in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.socket, "shutdown.target" is added to
Before and Conflicts options.

  Ubuntu 22.04
    [Unit]
    Description=Network Service Netlink Socket
    Documentation=man:systemd-networkd.service(8) man:rtnetlink(7)
    ConditionCapability=CAP_NET_ADMIN
    DefaultDependencies=no
    Before=sockets.target shutdown.target
    Conflicts=shutdown.target
  Ubuntu 21.04
    [Unit]
    Description=Network Service Netlink Socket
    Documentation=man:systemd-networkd.service(8) man:rtnetlink(7)
    ConditionCapability=CAP_NET_ADMIN
    DefaultDependencies=no
    Before=sockets.target

  After removed "shutdown.target" from /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-
  networkd.socket in ubuntu 22.04 desktop, this issue did NOT reproduce
  since systemd-networkd.service starts much earlier

  So the root cause of the issue is that adding 'shutdown.target' leads
  systemd-networkd.service starts late which makes customization command
  '/usr/sbin/netplan apply' fail.

  Not sure why adding 'shutdown.target' to file
  /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-networkd.socket ?