> "I unfortunately don't know what the first ~/.bashrc should be
replaced with."

The author has confirmed that it should just be removed, not replaced.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to bash in Ubuntu.

  man page names the same file twice -- are there really 2?

Status in bash package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in bash package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  In the bash(1) man page, INVOCATION section, second-to-last paragraph (begins
with "Bash attempts to determine"), it says, in part:
     "it reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc and ~/.bashrc,"
  naming the same file twice.  I suspect there's a file in /etc that gets read,
but in any event the duplication should be either removed or corrected.q

  Package: bash 4.2-2ubuntu2.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-49.75-generic-pae 3.2.46
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-49-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.4
  Architecture: i386