Public bug reported:

On a machine with 8GB of RAM, systemd-oomd will frequently kill
applications. This has been most apparent for me when using Firefox with
quite a lot of tabs open. This could probably be avoided by being more
disciplined with the number of tabs in use but shouldn't need to be an
active consideration for the user. I think this is less of a bug with
systemd-oomd as it is effectively doing its job when memory is low, but
rather I think this is more a case of the default amount of swap (1GB)
not being sufficient if only 8GB of RAM is present.

Attached output of `journalctl -u systemd-oomd.service` to show the
frequency of applications being killed

Release:        22.04

systemd-oomd:
  Installed: 249.11-0ubuntu3
  Candidate: 249.11-0ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 249.11-0ubuntu3 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Package: systemd-oomd 249.11-0ubuntu3
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Beta amd64 (20220329.1)
SourcePackage: systemd

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug jammy wayland-session

  Systemd-oomd frequently kills applications on 8GB RAM machine

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Date: Fri Apr 15 21:32:59 2022