Public bug reported:

On an Ubuntu 22.04 desktop system created using the current installation
image without enabling package updates over the network, installing the
package libudev1 results in a large number of critical packages being
removed and rendering the system essentially unusable.

https://github.com/tfoote/udevdebug/blob/main/Dockerfile is a Dockerfile which
also demonstrates the issue.
Building the image, which will install udev 249.11-0ubuntu3 and init 1.62, and
then running `apt install libudev1` in the generated image results in

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libnss-systemd libpam-systemd systemd-timesyncd udev
  libudev1

This is completely prevented by ensuring that updates are installed from the
jammy-updates repository before installing any additional packages and that is
almost certainly the correct thing to do. But this is a punishing result for
such a mistake.

I would expect the installation to either force the upgrade of the other
systemd packages or refuse to install libudev1 at the incorrect version
relative to the other systemd packages until the system is upgraded.

We found this out via a user report for ROS 2 Humble which is releasing
on top of Ubuntu 22.04 next week:
https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues/1272

** Affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Installing libudev1 on a new Jammy installation uninstalls many
  packages.

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu: