That's not really discoverable as a reference though. I wouldn't expect
"examples" to contain a definitive reference, and nor a Discourse post
about a feature that as far as I know isn't pointed to from any
definitive documentation. Same with apt_preferences - I do expect to
find information about scoring and the syntax of preferences.d/ files in
there, but if I want a reference to a configuration option, it's not
obvious to look there.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Phased update configuration flags not documented in apt.conf(5)

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/phased-updates-in-apt-in-21-04/20345
  describes Dir::Etc::machine-id, APT::Get::Always-Include-Phased-
  Updates and APT::Get::Never-Include-Phased-Updates. I expected these
  to be documented in apt.conf(5) which I treat as a definitive
  reference to configuration options, but they aren't there.