I'm not doubting that the revert was correct for upstream. But we have a
different context in a stable release, where users may be relying on
behaviours that upstream are at liberty to change in their main
development branch, but we are not in our stable releases. Further, we
can't just assume that what is correct for them in their code base is
correct for us to cherry-pick to our stable release that holds a
previous version of the code base. Somebody needs to spend time to
ensure this is safe.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iputils in Ubuntu.

  Ping: checks payloads incorrectly, ignores all mismatch replies

Status in iputils package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in iputils source package in Focal:

  = Impact =

  the ping statistics are incorrect when dealing with truncated packets

  = Test case =

  $ ping -c 1 -s 1200 8.8.8.8

  should list truncated replies and received packets

  = Regression potential =

  the changes are limited to the ping source any regression would impact
  that utility, check that responses are correctly handled and
  statistics reflecting what is expected

  Problematic commit reverted upstream causing incorrect behavior in
  Ubuntu Focal.

  Discussion: https://github.com/iputils/iputils/issues/320
  Fix: https://github.com/iputils/iputils/pull/321
  Release: https://github.com/iputils/iputils/releases/tag/20210722

  Could this patch be added for a Focal update please?

  1) Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
  2) 3:20190709-3
  3)

  focal$ ping -c 1 -s 1200 8.8.8.8

  --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
  1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

  4)

  xenial$ ping -c 1 -s 1200 8.8.8.8
  76 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=61 (truncated)

  --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
  1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms