We're seeing the same behavior with Dell Precision 3600 series desktops and HID
Global OMNIKEY 3x21 Smart Card Readers
We did not encounter the issue with 18.04 or 20.04, only in 22.04.
sudo systemctl enable pcscd.socket
does not seem to resolve the issue for us
sudo systemctl start pcscd.service
must be run after every reboot, we haven't seen any solution that persists a
reboot.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pcsc-lite in Ubuntu.

  pcscd 1.9.5-3 do not start automatically, only manual

Status in pcsc-lite package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu Mate 22.04 with the latest updates.
  Problem is present with internal smart-card reader and also external usb
smart-card reader.

  eid-viewer sees no card reader,but When i do:

  sudo pcscd -f

  it is working, also following the tips of Ludovic:

https://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.com/2011/11/pcscd-auto-start-using-systemd.html

  sudo systemctl stop pcscd.socket
  sudo systemctl start pcscd.socket

  It is working until next restart.

  libacsccid1  version: 1.1.8-1
  libccid version: 1.5.0-2
  pcscd version: 1.9.5-3
  eid-archive version: 2022.3
  eid-mw version: 5.0.28v5.0.28-0u2204-1
  eid-viewer version: 5.0.28v5.0.28-0u2204-1

  In Firefox, my eid card is then also recognized, but only in the ESR
  version, but this is a know Mozilla bug.