Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to
review all reported bugs in a timely manner.

Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) reached end-of-standard-support on April 29, 2021.

I'm setting the status of this bug to 'Incomplete' as it's not seen any
activity for some time. Does this bug report have any relevance when
using a currently maintained release of Ubuntu? If so, please let us
know which one(s) otherwise this bug report can be left to expire in
approximately 60 days time.

** Tags removed: security startx tty
** Tags added: xenial

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  x crashes when I log in and back out of a tty (console, cntrl-alt-F2
  thing, whatever)

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  Observed behavior:

  When I get an alternate tty, or whatever it's called, with cntrl-alt-
  FN, where N is any digit, 2-6, inclusive; log in as the same user on
  the console; do stuff; and then log out with "exit":

  I'm suddenly back in tty1 and X has crashed. There is no x on any
  console. I can start it again with startx.

  Expected behavior:

  As it does in 14.04, I should just get a login prompt and stay in the
  same console. X running in tty1 should be unaffected, like x in tty7
  would be unaffected in Trusty.

  This is 64 bit Xenial with a minimalist Openbox environment, built from the
mini.iso. I start X with "startx".