Public bug reported:

We upgraded our openstack containers which host dnsmasq services from
bionic to focal. With this we got an update of dnsmasq from 2.79 to 2.80
which introduced a bug in our setup where dnsmasq returns NODATA instead
of NXDOMAIN.

This is already fixed upstream with the following commit [1].

The Ubuntu dnsmasq 2.80 package should get a backport with a release for
the focal packages which includes this bug fix.

[1]
https://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=162e5e0062ce923c494cc64282f293f0ed64fc10

** Affects: dnsmasq (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  dnsmasq focal 2.80 NODATA instead of NXDOMAIN bug

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu: