Hi Daniel,

Finally, I tried to reproduce your scenario on my side but not able to
reproduce.

* Environment:
ubuntu 22.04
64G RAM (allocated a process to occupy 32G RAN)
NVMe storage
32G micron SD card (dd /dev/random to a 29G file)

* A script to reproduce:
#!/bin/bash

count=0
file="29G-file"
while [ 1 ]; do
    count=$((count+1))
    echo "--the $count times"
    rm ${HOME}/${file}
    sync
    echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    ionice -c3 nice cp -a /mnt/mmc/${file} ${HOME}/${file}
    sync
done

The result is it was pass 25 times of copying file.
I was monitor the system resource that in my case, the swapping was not trigger
and the copy action didn't consume too many memory.

Could you please help to monitor the memory usage when you try to copy
file?

** Attachment added: "Screenshot from 2022-11-06 17-12-51.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1985887/+attachment/5629411/+files/Screenshot%20from%202022-11-06%2017-12-51.png

  systemd kills gnome-shell or gnome-terminal if gnome-terminal uses
  much memory (50% over 20s)

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Invalid
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  [Steps to reproduce]
  0. Install Jammy image
  1. open gnome terminal
  2. issue stress_ng or Canonical certification tool checkbox as
  "checkbox-cli run com.canonical.certification::memory/memory_stress_ng"
  or
  "stress-ng --stack 0 --timeout 300"
  3. Terminal or Gnome-shell will be killed by systemd-oomd

  It's because all stressors are under same cgroup belongs to terminal.

  Both Wayland and Xorg can reproduce.

  over ssh and in multi-user.target work good.